At this point in your email marketing career, you’ve probably written so many subject lines you’ve lost count. An essential to every campaign you send, we know what it’s like to feel a little uninspired when writing your 100th subject line. To give you some fresh ideas and new tactics to try in 2019, we scrolled through our inboxes and found standout subject lines from your favorite brands.
From product-specific to intriguing, each of these brands made us click.
Who doesn’t love a sale? The new year is the perfect time to try tactics like inducing scarcity or being hyper-specific.
- Wolf Circus: Welcome to our Sample Sale
- Province of Canada: ⚡️Up to 25% Off + Free Shipping
- Foe & Dear: Ends Today! Get an extra 10% off our Archive Sale!
- NIU BODY: Last Chance! FREE Full-Size Lip Polish 😘
- Crown Nine: Buy something for yourself – 10% OFF SALE
- Sephora: You’re invited: 10% off for Beauty Insiders
- EyeBuyDirect: Double Deal! Buy 1 Get 1 Free PLUS 15% OFF.
- Forever 21: FLASH SALE: 50% off Web Exclusives
- AllSaints: Over 100 new styles added | Sale
- Outdoor Voices: OV Extra Is Now Up to 50% Off
Narrowing in on a specific product you know your customers are interested in is a top tactic in increasing email engagement.
- Province of Canada: Our most talked about hoodie.
- Only Child: Our Favorite Top
- ComplexCon: ENDING TONIGHT: Last Chance to Cop Murakami ComplexCon 2018 Exclusive Merch
- Aldo: These shoes are officially bestsellers - you’ll want them too
- Topshop: Meet your new jeans
These subject lines keep subscribers guessing–just enough that they’ll have to open your email.
- Reformation: HAVE WE MET?
- Province of Canada: We reinvented slippers.
- Basd Body Care: a fresh start for 2019, babe
- True Botanicals: Better skin by morning? It’s possible.
- Forever 21: Because, why not!?
- Petsmart: Nice to meet you! Let’s get started.
- NIU BODY: The Countdown Is On, Babe.
- Aerie: Oh. So. Soft!
- IKEA: Storage problems solved
- Aritzia: Remember sunshine? The new spring things are here
Showing the human side of your brand with behind-the-scenes photos or a more personal narrative is a great way to build subscriber loyalty.
- Foe & Dear: F&D Journal: Meet dreamgirl Braina Laviena
- DÔEN: New Journal: BTS Byron Bay Spring 2019 Shoot 🌊
- Girlfriend Collective: Feels good to do good.
- Basd Body Care: the monday motivation (go toxin-free for 2019!)
With some inspiration under your belt, we hope writing your first subject lines of the year is a little easier! Don’t be afraid to test new subject line lengths, emojis, all caps, or a bit of humour - it’s a new year, and you’ll never know if new strategies will appeal to your subscribers, unless you try them out.